“Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.”- Snoopy

Monday, December 30, 2013

My Invitations


A thought has been lingering, “Whose weddings would I be invited to?” At my age, it’s a fair question to ask.

Spoken to a couple of people before about my tendency to section off parts of my life somewhat arbitrarily. It’s unlike me, the part about these boundaries being defined without a set of rules, because I typically like to operate in a system with patterns to note. But I think this was developed out of necessity given that the only constancy that I have known is change.

For illustrative purposes, I imagine this to be like when steel doors on the Titanic begin to descend, locking the watertight chambers and sectioning off the flood. It might be because my older sister loved the movie and I watched it many times when I was far more impressionable (side note: To this day, I could still probably freehand Kate Winslet’s breasts with a pen) but there is a shot from it that still stays with me: the back of a crewmember left behind, sealed is the chamber and his fate. I imagine the immediate seconds of his life after James Cameron has already cut to the next scene. What he must feel. Certainty. Helplessness. And what he means cinematically. A tribute. A forgotten, secondary dramatic device. A necessity.

Like so, I have compartmentalized the past in messy little packages—sectioning off the people, the words, the thoughts. Unbeknownst to them, or anyone really, I am in a constant state of retrospection. Reliving and reimagining moments. Things that were said, weren’t said, and things that should have been said.

I am constantly thinking of you, friends. And I would really like you to know that. 

It would be nice to say that this is as if the crewman had never died. It’s left ambiguous and you never do see him drown in the movie. But just because you’re the type of person to look back as you walk forward, it doesn’t mean what you’re looking for is still there, or was ever there.

So back to my original question on whose weddings I would be invited to.

The ones that matter, I think.