“Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.”- Snoopy

Saturday, February 2, 2013

My Aphasia


It seems to me that the Broca’s area of my brain is damaged, if not underdeveloped.

Words coming out of my mouth are jumbled, crude arrangements of the thoughts that reared them. I want to be articulate so damn bad, but the sentences escaping my tounge lack any trace of structure and it’s every word for itself. Instead of forming a cohesive whole, the nouns and verbs fight each other in epic battles to destroy any traces of meaning. It really is madness. Each time I try to verbalize what’s running through my mind, I unleash a terrifying flood of undecipherable, yet relatively well-annunciated mumblings. I just picture a little kid barely tall enough to ride a Disneyland roller coaster standing in front of a giant claw machine, picking the words I’m about to gift to the world, hooking little blocks of lazy transitions and unclear subjects.

Well, I guess I would be that little kid then… which might just sprinkle a bit of tragedy on this bit. I think if word bubbles appeared every time I talked, “their” and “their” would somehow be used interchangeably. 

This might be why I’ve always preferred writing. On a blank piece of lined paper, I can cross out and restructure. I have the luxury of staring at a blinking cursor on my screen as I take my sweet time in constructing anything resembling to something that I feel or wish to convey (The two things are not one of the same at times.) I love the freedom and the ability to erase. Nothing is of permanence, unchanged indefinitely. I am at my own pace and if I remember my grade school education correctly, they taught me that slow and steady wins the race. If need be, I am welcomed to take a sip of my red wine blend straight from the bottle. No one is waiting for my thoughts because no one knows that I have anything to say. Honestly, sometimes I really don’t have anything to say.

Asdfjkl;.

And I’m back.